Did you know that fire departments respond to an average of 373,900 home fires per year with thousands of civilian deaths and injuries, and around 7.2 billion in direct property damage? Smoking indoors and cooking equipment are cited as the leading cause of home structure fires and injuries.
The following are additional tips to help keep homeowners and their families safe:
- Avoid smoking in the home and ask smokers to step outside.
- For the outdoor smokers, always provide a deep and sturdy ashtray for them to use. This will stop them from putting out or flicking the cigarette out on your property, another serious fire hazard.
- Never remove or disable smoke alarms.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Interconnect smoke alarms throughout the home so that when one beeps they all sound at the same time.
- Test smoke alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
- Don’t leave cooking items or clothing irons unattended.
- Be careful when using candles and keep them at least one foot away from anything that can burn. Make sure to blow them out when you step out of a room or before you go to sleep.
- Don’t let children play with fire and keep matches and lighters out of reach, preferably in a cabinet with a child lock.
- Inspect electrical cords that are cracked, damaged or have broken plugs.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have a family plan in place and conduct a home fire drill at least twice a year.
- Check fire extinguishers for expiration and replace as needed.
- Have an updated, emergency first aid kit.
First Call 24/7 is a leading provider of fire and smoke restoration services for residential and commercial properties in the South Florida region. Our professionally trained, certified and experienced technicians can be at your home immediately if you experience a fire and smoke damage situation. 1-866-577-4468